From Main Campus Research
Guides to Writing Grants
Recommended Professional Writing Guides
The following writing guides, although not specific to grant-writing per se, offer practical advice and teach the necessary tools on how to write well, which hopefully will translate into your preparing a more competitive grant application.
- How to Write A Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing by Paul J. Silvia, Ph.D.
- Writing Your Journal Article In 12 Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success by Wendy Laura Belcher
Please contact Maria Snyder to borrow a copy of either of the above writing guides.
Sponsor-Provided Writing Guides
National Science Foundation (NSF)
- A Guide for Proposal Writing: designed in particular for programs in the Division of Undergraduate Education at NSF, presents a compilation of practical advice for prospective applicants for NSF grants.
- Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (Part I): includes sections on pre-submission information, proposal preparation instructions, the NSF review process, non-award decisions and transactions, and renewal proposals.
- Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (Part II): focuses on award and administration guidelines, with chapters on practical issues related to the administration of NSF grants. Additionally, it also includes an introduction to NSF awards and conditions and sections on grant administration, financial requirements and payments, grantee standards, allowability of costs, misconduct, and other post award requirements and considerations.
Institute of Education Sciences (IES) (U.S. Department of Education)
- Research Funding Opportunities Webinars: The Institute of Education Sciences was established within the U.S. Department of Education through the Education Sciences Reform Act of 2002. This site provides powerpoints and transcripts from past IES presentations on grant writing and the application and review processes.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH Grants Process Overview: detailed information on the NIH grants process, advice on how to effectively complete a grant application, and resources to help prospective applicants understand the review and award process.
- NIH Clinical Center Guide to Grant Writing: a comprehensive page on grant writing that includes sections on types of NIH grants, funding, NIH grant-writing seminars and workshops, as well as other links for grant-related information.
- Grant-writing "411": Several of the NIH institutes put out writing guides and tip sheets that can be invaluable resources for both the novice and seasoned applicant.
- Proposal Writing Short Course: this free online course from the Foundation Center provides information on and advice for effective proposal writing.
European Research Council (ERC)
- ERC Starting Independent Researcher Grant: offering starting grants that are designed to support young investigators in establishing research teams and conducting independent research. This page provides an overview of ERC Starting Grants and what is required for a competitive application.
Social Science Research Council (SSRC)
- "The Art of Writing Proposals": some candid and practical advice for applicants to SSRC competitions.
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) Organization
- Developing and Writing Grant Proposals: guidance on writing successful proposals from the CFDA website.